The Mortgage Mum is more than just a mortgage broking firm. It is a movement. Nominated for “Best New Entrant – Broker” at the MI Awards 2020 is a huge honour for Sarah and her team, and we feel it is deserved as The Mortgage Mum has gathered incredible momentum in their first year of business, and are already making their mark in the industry.
So what makes them different to the rest?
- Their passion and commitment to bringing women into the financial services industry and the unique space they provide for them.
- The service they provide to their clients – “mortgages are about more than just money” is their slogan and this is demonstrated in their advice. They deliver financial coaching alongside high quality mortgage advice – giving their clients the extra touch. The team are ambitious, passionate, driven women who are determined to give the best service possible.
- They have launched The Mortgage Mum Podcast to educate and empower listeners to learn more about mortgages. This reached #8 in the iTunes Entrepreneurial Charts in its first week, and #30 in the Top UK Podcasts in Business (Martin Lewis being #28!).
- The unique business model – they encourage wellbeing and flexible working, and all 20 brokers are managed online (since the beginning of the firm, not just due to Covid-19). They pitched this concept to their Network, Mortgage Intelligence, who later thanked them because by “taking them digital” this ensured they were able to adapt quickly when the pandemic struck.
- Their story is unique and inspiring – Sarah set up the company during her stint on The Voice UK (which has a whole story attached to it!) because she wanted to empower women to start a career in broking, particularly Mums. This idea initially started as a training group on Facebook, encouraging women to study for their CeMAP qualification and providing support. They held their first course, in Nationwide HQ in London, to give these women a window into what life as a Mortgage Mum could be like, and due to its popularity they took the leap and recruited their first group of Mortgage Mums in September 2019. The industry response was incredible. They were featured on the front page of Mortgage Strategy instantly which was a big moment for the firm.
- Fast forward to today, and The Mortgage Mum now train women from qualified to CAS status in their unique training academy. They are welcomed into the business and are encouraged to work flexibly. This unique model has captured the attention of the industry and Sarah has appeared as a speaker or a panellist many times in the last year.
- Currently a male brand is being created to enable men to have the same opportunity as The Mortgage Mum team has. “It is clear there is a need for flexible working, and there is a need for firms to invest their time and attention into new talent. For newly qualified brokers this can be a tough industry to break!” Sarah said.